Prayer & worship every Sunday at
in the Sanctuary
Do I stand up for my Christian beliefs, or do I compromise my faith in order to be accepted by friends and family?
When people look at me, do they see a reflection of Christ?
Am I openly sharing the message of Christ with those I come in contact with each day?
What do I believe about Who God is?
What consumes my thoughts?
Is there a habit or sin in my life that repeatedly gets in the way of my relationship with God and loving Him with my whole heart?
Is there anyone in my life from whom I need to reconcile with and ask forgiveness? Is there something I need to confess to God?
Am I making time for God every day (talking with Him, listening to Him, reading His Word
Loving God, help me to focus more on You during this season, and help me to hear from You
more clearly than ever before. I want more of You in my life, Lord, and less of me. Thank You
for loving me and being patient with me as I grow up spiritually. In Your precious name I ask,
Just a Note . . .
1. How many days does Lent last?
In 2019 Lent begins on Ash Wednesday, March 6, and ends Saturday, April 20. This
season is 46 days – 40 fasting days and 6 Sundays – before Easter Sunday, April 21.
2. What is Holy Week?
Palm Sunday marks the beginning of Holy Week – the last week of Lent leading up to
Easter. On Palm Sunday we remember Jesus’ triumphant arrival in Jerusalem (Read
Maundy Thursday takes its name from the Latin word “mandatum” and translates to
“commandment.” Jesus told his disciples as they walked toward Gethsemane (John
13:34-35), “A new commandment I give to you: Love one another.” We mark the official
end of Lent by remembering the first Lord’s Supper.
Good Friday commemorates the day when our Lord gave his life to save us from our
Easter Sunday is the day of the resurrection . . . a celebration of God’s victory over sin
During this prayer and Bible reading challenge, read, trust, and apply God’s Word every day.
Reading God’s Word each day allows you to hear God, builds a foundation for your faith, and
equips you for life. Here are several tips to help you study the scripture:
1. Pray prior to reading your daily scripture. Ask God to make you aware of His Presence
and what He wants you to know.
2. Meditate on the selected Bible passage throughout the day. Ask someone to join you on
the journey and check in with each other and discuss what God reveals to you.
3. Journal, journal, journal . . . Oh, did I mention to journal?
• Record your prayers, answered prayers, and what your study is saying to you
• Write down notes that you can look back on
4. Following are questions to consider from your daily scripture reading:
• What does the passage tell me about God?
• In the daily reading, which verse stands out to me? What does it mean to me?
• How can I apply these verses today?
• How did the encounter impact the individual/crowd?
• What is Jesus emphasizing about Himself in each passage?
• What do I learn from the encounter?
• Do Jesus’ teachings and corrections apply to me?
• How is this passage intended to help me?
• What role does this passage play in the larger and longer biblical story?
• How have I encountered Jesus? How has He changed you?
• Who do you say that Jesus Is? Why did Jesus die? Who do you want to share Jesus
Journey with Jesus through Lent 2019
Prayer and Bible Reading Challenge
1. The Shepherds
2. Mary, Jesus’ Mother
4. Teachers at the Temple
5. John the Baptist
6. Ash Wednesday
7. Simon Peter
8. People of Nazareth
9. Roman Officer #1
10. 1st Sunday of Lent
11. The Widow from Nain
12. Simon the Pharisee
13. Mary Magdalene
14. Demon-Possessed Man
17. 2nd Sunday of Lent
18. The Gentile Women
19. The Money Changers
20. The Religious Leaders
21. The Crippled Woman
22. Ten Men with Leprosy
23. The Rich Man
24. 3rd Sunday of Lent
26. Woman at the Well
27. Adulterous Woman
28. Mary, Martha, Lazarus
29. The Bleeding Woman
30. Demon Possessed Man
31. 4th Sunday of Lent
32. Sermon on the Mount Pt. 1
33. Sermon on the Mount Pt. 2
34. Sermon on the Mount Pt. 3
35. Tax Collectors
36. Many Desert Jesus
37. The Blind Man
38. 5th Sunday of Lent
39. Jesus Prepares
His Disciples Pt. 1
40. Jesus Prepares His Disciples Pt. 2
41. Jesus Prepares His Disciples Pt. 3
42. Jesus Prepares His Disciples Pt. 4
44. Jesus’ Final Prayer
45. 6th Sunday of Lent
46. The Chief Priests
47. Pontius Pilot
48. Simon from Cyrene
49. Maundy Thursday
50. Good Friday
The Two Criminals
Roman Officer #2
51. Holy Saturday
Joseph of Arimathea
Joel 2:1-2, 12-17
2 Corinthians 5:20-6:10
Luke 5:1-11, Luke 22:54-65
Luke 8:1-3, Mark 15:33-40
Genesis 15:1-12, 17-18, Luke 13:31-35
John 2:13-20, Matthew 21:12-17
Isaiah 55:1-9, Luke 13:1-9
Luke 10:38-42, John 11:1-44, Jn 12:1-11
Joshua 5:9-12, Luke 15:1-3, 11-32
Isaiah 43:16-21, John 12:1-8
Luke 22:1-6, Matthew 27:1-10
Isaiah 50:4-9-, Luke 19:28-40